Any dentist will tell a patient that the key difference between composite dental fillings and amalgams is that the amalgam is potential poison.  Amalgams which are partly made of mercury and silver can have toxic effects on the human body, such as liver problems and reproductive problems for mothers who are trying to conceive.  Mercury will kill those cells that it comes in contact with, and it may leak from the tooth after being placed there through the process of expanding and contracting, depending on what the patient might eat.  Over time, the mercury can escape the tooth and leak into the bloodstream through the mouth.  This is not the optimum situation for a patient.


However, on the contrary, composite dental fillings are one hundred percent safe and are made of either resin or porcelain.  They are very durable and strong and they look like a normal tooth.  The material doesn’t have the dark center when inserted in the tooth like an amalgam does.  While they are more expensive than the amalgams, the safety is worth the extra cost.

Schools of dentistry still teach their students using amalgams as the preferred material.  This is probably because it is much less expensive than the other option. Some dentists still use this type of material even though there is plenty of literature and research to suggest that mercury is extremely poisonous to the body.  If a patient opts to have their old mercury fillings removed and re-filled with the saver option, the amalgam has to be placed in a container that is marked dangerous material.  This is often reason enough for patients to choose the safer option when needing this type of work done.