Ingenious Dentistry Recommends Using Mouthwash
Proper oral hygiene is an essential part of your overall health. Most individuals know that brushing your teeth at least twice a day and regularly flossing help you reduce tartar buildup and reduce your likelihood of developing cavities. Adding mouthwash to your daily dental hygiene routine provides additional benefits you can’t get from brushing and flossing alone. There are several different types of mouthwash, and learning more can help you decide what type would be most beneficial to you.
Different Types of Mouthwash
Not all mouthwash products are created equal, and the kind you use is determined by your goals, your current dental health, and your formula preferences.
- Antiseptic Mouthwash. For individuals who want to reduce plaque, gingivitis, and bacteria in the mouth, an antiseptic mouthwash is ideal. Choose an ADA approved formula and use multiple times per day for full effectiveness.
- Fluoride Mouthwash. Mouthwash that contains fluoride has the added benefit of restoring problems that already exist while preventing cavities from forming. It’s important to note that fluoride mouthwash is used in smaller doses and less frequently than other mouthwash types since swallowing large volumes can be dangerous.
- Sensitive/Gentle Mouthwash. Those who don’t like the burning sensation of antiseptic mouthwash should choose a gentle formula made specifically for sensitive mouths.
- Natural Mouthwash. If you are natural-minded and prefer non-chemical mouthwash, there are natural products available that freshen breath without harsh ingredients.
- Cosmetic Mouthwash. For some people, the goal is to freshen up breath when needed without the need for treating gingivitis or plaque. Cosmetic mouthwash products provide fresh breath without antiseptic or fluoride additions.
Benefits of Using Mouthwash
Regular mouthwash use provides benefits beyond fresh breath. The act of swishing a mouth rinse around in your mouth dislodges debris that may have been overlooked during brushing. Over time, therapeutic mouthwash products can reduce the demineralization of your teeth and help prevent cavities in the long term. Some products contain ingredients such as hydrogen peroxide that can whiten your teeth as you freshen your breath. Reduction in the number of bacteria in your mouth can help prevent gum disease and other dental hygiene complications.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have any questions about the proper use of mouthwash or mouthwash benefits, the dental team at Medical Center Dental is happy to provide answers for you. Contact Medical Center Dental today to schedule a consultation for any of your dental concerns, whether you have a specific issue or just want to take control of your dental health.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock / By White bear studio