LANAP Laser Gum Surgery in Houston, TX
It is estimated that 80 million Americans suffer from gum disease. Of that huge number, only a fraction of them seeks treatment. Most people shy away from seeking periodontal treatment due to the frightening idea of scalpels and sutures, but with LANAP, there is no need for cutting or stitching.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Gums that bleed when you are brushing or flossing
- Bad breath, despite regular brushing and flossing
- Noticeable receding of your gums
- Inflammation of your gums leading to loose teeth
- Red, tender, and/or swollen gums.
Gum Disease and Related Health Concerns
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, you should schedule a dental checkup as soon as possible as gum disease can be related to a number of serious health issues, including:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory diseases
- Low birth weight of newborns
Now, there is a better treatment alternative. The Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) is an amazing breakthrough in periodontal treatment procedures. It is a standard treatment for patients suffering from periodontal disease.
LANAP treatment does not involve any cutting or suturing of your mouth, so you will not experience the pain associated with traditional gum surgeries. The LANAP treatment is a much more pleasant experience than the traditional surgical treatment. The patient has a faster recovery, with much less pain and discomfort.
Traditional gum surgeries involve the loss of gum tissue, which can cause teeth sensitivity and exposed roots. This can also cause other periodontal complications. This is not the case if you choose to undertake treatment using the LANAP technique.
The LANAP treatment involves the use of a laser that only targets the damaged part of your gums and also kills the bacteria that is responsible for the periodontal disease. Thus, it does not affect your healthy gum tissue or bone and it allows the body to heal itself.
Merits of LANAP
- Faster healing: The Periolase MVP-7 laser used in treating your gums eradicates all the bacteria thus reducing the chances of inflammation. The healthy gum tissue is also not disturbed, which ensures a quick recovery. Patients can recover from the surgery and in most instances can return to work the next day. The traditional surgery has a recovery period of three to four weeks, with considerable pain.
- Minimal gum recession: Traditional gum surgery involves the use of a scalpel, which causes the gum line to recede between 3-5 mm to 13-15 mm. Patients who have undergone treatment using the LANAP technique experience very little gum recession and in some cases none is experienced.
- Reduced bleeding and inflammation: The Periolase MVP-7 laser ensures removal of 90% of inflammation after the first treatment with minimal bleeding, especially compared to traditional gum surgery.
- Save teeth: The LANAP treatment helps maintain the strength of your natural teeth in the jawbone. Traditional gum surgery can weaken teeth which can then necessitate their removal.
The LANAP Treatment Procedure
The treatment begins with the Doctor injecting numbing medication (local anesthesia) to your gum tissue. You can also be sedated if desired. Your doctor will then use the laser to remove infected gum tissue and debris. A scaling instrument has special tips that vibrate and they loosen any deposits that may be on the roots of the teeth. The deposits are flushed away using an irrigation solution.
The second laser pass disinfects and seals the healthy gums and your bite is adjusted. Only half of your mouth can be treated at a time, and the procedure generally takes about two hours.
If you have questions about the LANAP treatment for gum disease or would like to discuss any oral health concerns, please contact the professionals LANAP dentist in Houston at Medical Center Dental Group.
Contact Dr. Dale Brant at Ingenious Dentistry